Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Hugh B Avis

Hello, welcome to my first post. I hope to inform, entertain and basically share my thoughts with you. Unfortunately, I have to start this with some sad news. I found out today that my High School band teacher, Hugh Avis, died on January 30th. He was an awesome teacher. In fact, he won the Colorado Teacher of the year in 1982, the year I graduated. I could have graduated early, but I enjoyed his classes so much that I stayed just for that.
I last saw Mr. Avis in October 2007 at the funeral for his wife. I promised him that I would visit him. I told him that I would get some of the members of his band to get together and take him out to dinner. His last words to me as I left were, “Don’t forget to call me.” I never did. I knew he was not going to make it long after the passing of his wife. I don’t know why I didn’t get together with him. It seemed there was always something else to do. I hope he knows what an awesome teacher and person he was. I pray he is in the presence of the Lord and I will one day keep my promise to him when we meet again.

1 comment:

Monica said...

If only there were more teachers today that made such a great impact on their students!

 
Google